- 1 or 2 pork fillets
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 piece of ginger (about the same amount as the garlic)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon chinese five-spice powder
- Blend together all the marinade ingredients until smooth.
- Slash the pork fillet diagonally on both sides and put into a large resealable plastic bag
- Add the marinade to the bag and seal
- Massage the bag until the meat is completely coated in the marinade right down into the slashes, then place the bag on a plate or bowl in the fridge.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours, massaging occasionally.
- Cook for 45 mins on a rack over a baking tray in a preheated oven at 190 C, turning occasionally and basting with the remaining marinade
- Remove from the oven when cooked through and the edges are charred.
Line the baking tray with foil, as the marinade dripping off the meat burns easily and is difficult to clean up otherwise.