- 300 grams strong bread flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp dried instant yeast
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 200 grams sour cream
- 375 grams milk
- unsalted butter for frying
- Mix the flour, salt, and yeast together in a large bowl
- Separate the eggs, putting the whites into a separate bowl and adding the yolks to the flour
- Warm the sour cream and milk together until they are about at blood heat and then whisk into the flour to make a loose batter
- Cover and leave to rise for 1 hour
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and carefully fold them into the batter
- Cover and leave to rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour or even longer
- Fry small spoonfuls of the batter in a frying pan greased with plenty of butter, flipping the blinis when bubbles burst on the top surface and the edges are dry.
Serve the blinis warm with plenty of sour cream and toppings like caviar, smoked salmon, crisply fried bacon bits, marinated herring etc.
This recipe is adapted from English Bread and Yeast Cookery by Elizabeth David